Your Student’s Safety Is Our #1 Priority!
Sombrero Time teachers and staff follow a strict policy of student tracking and safety protocols. Please familiarize your self with these policies as we partner to protect the well being of your students:
- Student Drop–off (Granite Bay Only) – Please drop students off a minimum of 5 minutes before the start of class and picked up no later than 10 minutes after class.
- Student Pick up Granite Bay – After school and Kinder students must be signed out by the parent or guardian listed on their registration form. All PM and Kinder students will not be released from the classroom until they have been signed out. (N/A to JRHS students)
- Student Pick up Sierra Elementary – Students are dismissed to walk to the south parking lot for pick up at 3:15pm. Students will be chaperoned by their teacher who will wait with students while parents arrive. Please pick up within 5 minutes of class dismissal.
- Alternate Pick up – We require you to authorize in writing anyone outside your immediate family that will be picking up your student/s. Alternate pickup authorizations are completed during the registration process. However, should you need to update you the information we have on file please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you a link to update your account information this information.
- Student Walk/Bike Policy – If your student would like to walk or ride a bike from Sombrero Time in Granite Bay please provide written permission detailing when and where your student is permitted to walk/ride. Please sign and have your student give it to his/her teacher. Permission slips will be kept on file for reference. Students that attempt to walk or ride without parent permission will be reported to parents.
- Medical Emergency – In a medical emergency where a student’s life is in danger for any reason, 911 will be called immediately and we will contact the parent of record. An on-site administrator will also be made immediately aware of the situation and will step-in to assess and monitor the situation.
- Classroom Lockdown – In an emergency situation it may be necessary to take extra security measures by locking down classrooms. Sombrero Time instructors are trained and familiar with this process and understand it is their responsibility to ensure student safety. Every attempt will be made to coordinate safety concerns with local schools and communicate with parents.
- Fire/Evacuation – In the event of a fire alarm, students will be lined up and led by their instructors out of their classrooms to a designated safety area. Once at the designated safe area, instructors will do a name-to-face roster check to make sure all students are present, contact emergency services, and contact the parents on record.
Sombrero Time is designed to be an academic extension to your student’s education. Learning to read, write and speak Spanish is a progressive and intensive process. As such, we do not enroll students who cannot commit the time to attend class on a regular basis. Families participating in the Sombrero Time learning process are expected to support regular attendance similarly to their child’s other academic commitments (public, private or home school).
In the case your student will be tardy or absent from class due to illness, appointments, vacations or other reasons please notify Sombrero Time with as a minimum of 24 hours notice. Notification can be given by calling the Attendance Line and leaving the following information:
- Student Name
- Teacher Name
- Reason for Absence
Messages are automatically routed to your student’s teacher.
Please note: Email, Text and Verbal messages are not acceptable forms of notification.
Sombrero Time Student Attendance Line:
#3 for Granite Bay
#4 for Sierra Elementary
Parents are welcome to observe their students class. Student safety and the integrity of our learning environment is always a major priority at Sombrero Time. Please help us by following the observation policy and procedure as outlined below:
- Parents and family members are welcome to observe students from outside the classroom. Sombrero Time has large glass viewing areas designed to facilitate observation of classroom activity while maintaining the integrity of the teaching environment
- If you feel there is an issue that needs attention, please discuss with your student’s teacher or the site manager
Sierra Elementary School:
- Contact your student’s teacher to request a classroom observation
- Your teacher will confirm the appointment within 48 hours
- Be sure to sign in at the front office before entering the classroom