Why We Exist
At Sombrero Time we are passionate about helping children build opportunity! We recognize that second language learning not only develops a child’s cognitive ability and self confidence, but is also essential for academic achievement in the 21st century.
Sombrero Time was formed because we recognize the barriers keeping many children from learning a second language:
- A modern school system that does not address language at the primary grades when students are developmentally at their best to learn language.
- Ineffective “experience” based curriculum and programs providing limited opportunity to use and retain the language being taught.
- Lack of frequency and context-Language is not learned by memorizing vocabulary and conjugating verbs once or twice a week. We learn new languages the same we learned our first-through frequent immersive experiences.
With these things in mind we have developed a system of Services and Products which deliver flexible and effective language solutions for primary grade students and schools. Everything we do is tested and refined in our Education Facility located in Granite Bay, CA ensuring our methodology, curriculum and products help students develop what we call “functional language skills”. In order to mobilize a second language effectively students need to develop the ability to listen, read, write AND speak in Spanish.
What Makes Us Unique
- Immersion: We use Spanish to teach Spanish which maximizes the learning experience for your student
- Curriculum: Our products are specifically developed to build reading, writing and speaking proficiency
- Frequency: Classes are offered 4 days per week which produces lasting results
- Program Development and Support: We specialize in helping schools by equipping teachers with the training and resources needed to implement successful language programs
Who We've Worked With
Finding nothing that met our requirements for a well rounded yet fun and engaging language program we decided to offer free Spanish lessons to the kids in our neighborhood.
Sombrero Time is born at Oakhills Elementary School
We introduce a language program to help K-6 students develop functional language skills. We open our first class at Oakhills Elementary School in Granite Bay, CA. Curriculum development begins…
Sierra Elementary School
We form a partnership to help Sierra Elementary enhance their Language program as part of their International Baccalaureate “Language B” requirements which led to all students learning Spanish using Sombrero Time Curriculum and Methodology.
Granite Bay Education Facility Opens, Loomis Basin Charter Partnership Formed
Sombrero Time offers language programs to the community at large at a newly built education facility. Loomis Basin Charter School hires Sombrero Time to enhance their Spanish program. Sombrero Time teachers provide instruction four days per week for Kinder-8th grades. All instruction is embedded into the instructional day and delivered completely in Spanish.
Our Customer Base Grows
Sombrero Time adds Brighton Schools, Granite Bay Montessori and Elementary Schools in the Loomis Union School district as new customers.
Curriculum Publishing Project, continued growth
After observing great results of our curriculum we begin the publishing process with a goal of impacting language learners everywhere! Natomas Charter School is added as our newest customer.
First Product Sale, PD offered to Spanish teachers
We sell the first unit our first curriculum product, “Spanish Classroom in a box”. We begin to offer Professional Development to Spanish teachers in the Sacramento region.
Completion of our 6 level curriculum system! A HUGE milestone!
Sombrero Time continues to experience recognition and exciting growth due to curriculum and training sales.